Sunday, September 2, 2007

"Love, What is Love"



I once knew a woman whose heritage was Italian. Her parents were both from the old country and came to America, via Ellis Island. While I was visiting my friend, her Mother was also visiting and she shared with me her story of how she was married and came to America. It goes like this.

I was about 14 years old and I remember working in our fields picking corn to feed our animals. It was a very hot summers day and I remember being very dirty and sweaty. My Mother came running down the corn field where I was working and she said, "Hurry, come with me. You are going to get cleaned up and put your Sunday best dress on and meet someone. Now hurry, come".

Not knowing anything that was about to happen to me, I obeyed and rushed home to clean up and put my Sunday best
dress on. My Mother told me to sit outside on the porch rocker and wait. So I did just that. I sat and waited for this person that wanted to meet me for the first time. I still was not aware of what was about to happen. Then I saw an old man approaching me with my Father and Mother behind him. I say old, because I was just 14 years old and He was 30 years old. What was about to happen was a pre arranged marriage. My Mother and Father gave him permission to marry me and take me to America. My Mother and Father was given a handsome amount of money for the marriage to take place and I was sold to this old man that day. I remember crying and screaming at the top of my lungs for them not to do this. He was a stranger to me and I did not know him. I was a child and wanted nothing to do with this arrangement. But I had no choice in this matter and was married and taken away to America with my new old husband.

I was so interested in her story of marriage, that I just had to ask her this question. Did you love him?

Her response to me was , "Love, What is love" ?

I have never forgotten that response. "Love, What is Love"
She went on to tell me that she did what was expected of her in the marriage giving into his sexual ways. She grew to care for her Husband but she never experienced love or true passion in the 50 years they were married.

How sad it must have been for her to never feel the joy of being truly loved by someone special. Not to experience true passion in her love making and to never feel joy during her 50 years of marriage.

I believe that we are put on this earth for one reason. To love and be loved by someone special. I feel very blessed that I have been with a Man that has made me feel very special and loved. I will always appreciate his kindness and the love he has shown me. Love is forever!



P.S. my special thanks to KRJ for borrowing her new "Love" signature.

No comments: