Friday, May 25, 2007

Playing the Retirement Game

I have been working since I was 15 years old. My Dad was the Principal of the High School and I worked during the summer in the office ,typing, running that messy mimeograph machine for $1.50 per hour. That was a good amount of pay back then. As an adult, I have spent the last 38 years working in insurance adjusting claims. I was on a three year plan. When I reached the age of 62 my plan was to retire. I had it all planned out. My new car that I just purchased would be paid off and I would be able to collect social security and also my pension. What a plan I had. It was perfect. Then on Saturday morning I walked to my mail box and saw a registered letter from my employer. It really looked important and very scary. What was this all about? I opened it up and read the content of the letter. Early retirement package was being offered to some of the employees. They included me on their list. I was so excited all I could do was say, "Yes, there is a God"! I danced around the mail box, (neighbors looking at me) and ran to the house to tell my Hubby. Now that I have decided to take their offer I find myself scared, confused and very nervous. How do I retire? I am too young. My car is not paid off. What will I do with myself. Being with my Hubby 24/7 could be a concern. I have always worked. Attending meetings with financial planners on how to roll over your 401k and are your retirement expectations realistic is just blowing my mind. Help me someone!!



Ok, I have settled down now. I am really excited about retiring and will accept the challenge head on. You go girl, and all that good stuff. Actually, I am scared , excited and happy. It is not easy to accept the reality that you are getting older and that you now could be on Medicare in a few years. Where has the time gone? Well, we shall see what the next chapter of life has to bring. I have been so blessed lately, that I can't wait to embrace the challenge of retirement. Watch out everyone, here I come!

1 comment:

Deborah Gamble said...

Joanne,
"Being with my Hubby 24/7 could be a concern."...LOL!