Thursday, May 24, 2007

Things happen for a reason. Just believe

My life is a little complicated now, but in a very good way. The pondering of accepting an early retirement package my employer has offered. Decisions on how to manage my, not so impressive nest egg, and the best thing of all, being reunited with my Son after 40 years. A great story that I would like to share.

40 years ago, I gave my Son up for adoption. I have had a hole in my heart for all that time. Wondering about him, did I make the right decision, etc. Sept. 9th, 2006 at 9:15pm is a day I will never forget. The phone rang. A woman asked me my name and date of birth and had I given up a baby boy for adoption 40 years ago. My heart sank as I answerd yes to all of her questions. She told me that my Son had hired her to find me and would I be interested in being reunited. With tears of joy and disbelief, I said, "absolutely". The next morning the phone rang and it was my Son. "Hi Mom", he said. Wow! I can't explain what I felt at that moment. To be finally called, Mom. I never had any more children and this was truly a blessing, indeed. The next step was to try to explain to my Boss that I needed some unexpected time off from work. I started the conversation with "how does one apply for maternity leave"? I flew to where my Son now lives and for the first time in 40 years our eyes met. There was an instant bond that fell over me. For the first time in my life, I really know how it feels to be a Mom. Things happen for a reason. Just believe.!

2 comments:

Deborah Gamble said...

Joanne,

This gives me goosebumps. What a great start!

Debbie

Anonymous said...

Wonderful way to begin!