Wednesday, December 19, 2007

"Wetting Down the Tree"






I received a great package in the mail yesterday. It was from my Mom. She mailed me her annual Christmas cookies that arrived in pieces, as they do every year, but soooo yummy. (she is known as the "Cookie Grandma".) One of my favorite things to do when I go home to California to visit Mom, is to listen to all of her great LP records. Barber shop, Paint Your Wagon, Perry Como, Andy Williams. I could go on and on. Well, Mom sent me some of the oldies and I got out the old phonograph last night and listened to the great tunes of the past while decorating the tree. It was really great going down memory lane. (Hubby went into the other room as he was not impressed with Perry.) My Dad sang in a Barber Shop Quartet and He and Mom would travel to all of the events. I am the only child that really loves the music and it was so special for Mom to send me some of her record collection.

As the weather here in New England has been less than perfect for picking out Christmas trees, I decided to purchase a fake tree. I took it out of the box and was not at all impressed. I always have a real tree. It is soooo.. ugly! Placing my special decorations did spruce it up a bit. My Christmas decorations mean a lot to me. Everything on my tree is either hand made, purchased in special places I have traveled, or given to me by special people in my life. Traditions are special like the one called "Wetting Down the Tree". After the tree is up and decorated, you then must Toast the Christmas Tree with your favorite cheer(merlot is my drink of choice) for good luck. So I poured my favorite cheer and sat down in my rocker and began the tradition of, Wetting Down the Tree, while listening to my music.

Oh the holidays are upon us. Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.

No comments: