Friday, June 22, 2007

"Traveling Down Life's Highway"


On December 28, 2001, Hubby loaded up his horse trailer and headed for Ohio to pick up two horses that he just purchased. While traveling on interstate 80 in Pennsylvania, Hubby was involved in a 56 car pileup. A white out occurred unexpectedly and all of a sudden, Hubby saw all of these cars in front of him sprawled all over the road. He attempted to avoid the cars but was unable to pass safely. He came to a halt and then the cars in back of him just kept hitting him and each other. A large Mac Truck carrying gasoline exploded and caught our trailer and other vehicles on fire. 8 people, including a 2 month old baby died as a result of this horrible accident. Thankfully, Hubby only had bumps and bruises as a result of the accident.

For the past 6 years we have been in litigation due to this accident. 8 law suits were filed against us. Several trips to Pennsylvania for depositions and many sleepless nights thinking we would lose our home and everything we have worked so hard for. It has been a nightmare for us to endure, as I am sure it has been for the victims families.

Yesterday, while traveling home from work, my cell phone rang. It was our Attorney representing us in the law suits. " Hi Joanne, this is Chuck. I have some good news for You and Frank. The cases against you have been settled. I have obtained full releases and it is finally over." I wanted to cry with happiness. Such a burden has been lifted from our shoulders. It is finally over. What a great feeling.

Many good things have happened during this past year that have been wonderful and life changing. The fact that the law suits have been settled is such a relief. Taking early retirement. Meeting new and old friends. And the best thing of all, My Son Darrell, who has put joy back in my heart.

Traveling down life's highway can be dangerous and hurtful if you don't know how to avoid the road bumps.I have hit some of them head on in my life time, but always seem to bounce back and continue on with my journey where ever it is taking me.

Well, this blog certainly was serious in nature, wasn't it! Sometimes you just gotta express yourself, I guess!

4 comments:

Deborah Gamble said...

What a nightmare! Legal things can be so stressful, but I've never experienced anything like that. What a relief it is finished!

Anonymous said...

Yes, we are very fortunate it is finally over. Happier blogs to follow. Joanne

Anonymous said...

test

Anonymous said...

Duh!!! I finally find out how to respond in my name. I will get this some day.